MORNING ØUTPUT #26
We’re coming to the end now. The final stretch of the year. What do you want to do? What boxes do you need to tick? I got an email asking if I was planning to "finish strong in 2017" and I thought about it and said, "yes, I would definitely like that."
So I’ve been looking over my plans and goals and that and have readjusted, realigned, and I think… think… I know what I’m doing. Which is what everyone says before they drive off a cliff.
“I think I know what I’m doing.”
"No you don’t", replies the world in Conor McGregor’s thick Irish accent. "No you fooken don’t!”
But none of that matters anyway. All of those goals are just compass points. The important thing is taking a few small steps, every single day.
- This week has been great. I booked the time off work and have been doing nothing but writing, walking the dog, reading, watching great TV and films, working on Keith, and napping. I’m going to miss my midday nap.
- I saw maybe the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen in my life. I was out with Alaska and this perfect golden beast peeped out over the Pennines.
- I also got a chance to nip down to London for a quick film meeting with a director whose work I really admire. I floated around the city, sucked up some inspiration from the Thames, drank coffee, went to the UK’s oldest bookshop (over 200 years old).
- I ran my second ever 10k… and it was great. I beat my last time by 18 minutes. It was difficult, sure, but I popped on a little Frank Turner and he helped me to finish (easy now).
- We are going to be at Nottingham Comic-Con this Saturday! Details!
- I wrote my best short story of the year. When you know it, you know it. It's called The Old Fool of Tudor Close. I'll put it up on the site soon.
- New essays section on my site: How I Made an Award-Winning Film with No Money, No Ideas, and No Camera. Think I'll start adding more of this kind of thing to the site. Depending if people actually get much out of it.
Bubba Ho-Tep by Joe R. Lansdale
After watching the movie and seeing the novella going for 99p I couldn't say no.
The movie was good. The story is better.
Hellraiser 2: Hellbound -
We watched this for Clive's birthday and I gotta say... this film doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. Starts out creepy enough but then quickly devolves into an absolute mess. Still fun, though.
The Omen -
Watched this on the bus ride back from London and loved it. That music can make anything terrifying.
Inside No. 9 Seasons 1 & 2 -
Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton's anthology TV show. How had I not watched this sooner? It's absolutely fucking great. There was one episode that was so moving I had to take a few moments afterwards to think and kiss my fiancée and tell her I love her.
That's all I got for this week. Remember to take a few moments every now and again. Remember to breathe.
Until next time,
Luke & Family.